CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bribery is a Mom's best friend

I have mentioned before that Brooklynn is addicted to her sippy cups. She has them with her at all times and that includes nap and bedtime. Well, I'm sick of two kids in diapers and Brooklynn is ready to be potty trained...the problem: the dang sippy cup. She drinks more milk than Mark (which means about a gallon every two days). There is no potty training until the sippy is history.
So, Thursday I had a brilliant idea. So brilliant I called my awesome mom to make I wouldn't ruin my child doing it. BRIBERY!!! I told Brooklynn if she would throw her sippy cups away that I would take her to Build A Bear and we would get her any animal she wanted. I pulled up the Build A Bear website to get her excited. She agreed to it, although if she really understood what she was agreeing to she may have thought about it a little longer.
Friday evening we helped her bag up all the sippy cups in the house. She kept telling us she needed to go "build my bear". She was ready. We dropped Emma off at a babysitters, this was Brooklynn's special night!

Now, my child is stubborn. I'm not sure where this comes from. It can not possibly be from my side of the family. There is not one person in my family who is at all stubborn. Or sarcastic. I had this nagging thought in the back of my mind that my sweet little girl may just decided she'd rather hang on to the sippy cups and pass on the new stuffed animal. That my brilliant plan may backfire.
Luckily, standing in the mall looking through the window into the world of un-stuffed animals waiting for her was all it took to convince my child that she no longer needed her sippy cups. She tossed them in the garbage and didn't look back (at least, not right then).
We looked at every animal, twice, she couldn't decided which she wanted. Bears, bunnies, and dogs, oh my! Finally she decided on a bunny. We took it to the stuffing machine. The girl who worked there was really sweet, but these machines were big and loud and scared Brooklynn to death! I think she thought it was eating her new bunny.

Once we got away from the stuffing machines she fell in love with her new friend. She gave her a bath...


Picked out a shirt with the Disney princesses on it (We asked if she wanted pants for her bunny too, she looked at us like we were nuts. Bunny's don't wear pants, duh!).


Then it was time to pick out a name for her new bunny. Brooklynn inherited Mark's creativity. He named his stuffed animals when he was young too. They are Koala, Kitty and Puppy. Bet you can't guess what animals they are. So the new bunny is now known as...Bunny Rabbit.

We have had a few teary moments especially when it is time to go to sleep. But overall she has been awesome! Out of habit she will start to ask me for her sippy. It goes something like, "Mom, I need my..." and she just lets it trail off. Hopefully, things continue to get even better over the next few days.

Is bribery worth it...You bet it is!!

As a side note...B has had just as much fun with the box as she has with the Bunny.






1 comment:

  1. I love this!!! I'm so glad you are writing down all the funny things that Brooklynn says and does!!!

    ReplyDelete